Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for Windows Servers (with 1 Year Essential Support)
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for Windows Servers delivers centralized management to easily extend your backup infrastructure across distributed environments and remote offices so physical or virtual server protection is easily managed as your business grows. With a sleek and streamlined administration console, Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for Windows Servers makes it easier than ever to efficiently manage backup and recovery operations across your physical and virtual infrastructure.Key Features
- Easily restore virtual machines, applications, databases, file/folders or granular objects from a single pass backup in seconds with patented V-Ray technology
- Agentless backup of virtual machines
- Integrated bare-metal, dissimilar hardware and physical to virtual (P2V) recovery
- Best of breed data deduplication to optimize any backup strategy with client, media server and appliance data deduplication
- Innovative and modern administration console makes it easier than ever to set up backups, manage backup policies, perform disaster recoveries, and convert backups to virtual machines for instant disaster recovery
- Protects a broad range of operating systems, platforms, applications and databases in both virtual and physical environments with support for disk and tape storage devices
- Award winning data protection and disaster recovery designed for physical and virtual environments in a single unified solution
- Protect an unlimited number of virtual machines per host
- Dramatically minimize downtime and data loss by rapidly recovering what you need, when you need it with a single click
- Recover an entire system to the same hardware, entirely different hardware or virtual machine in the time it takes you to turn on a virtual machine
- Easily reduce data backup storage by 10:1 and shrink the backup window while optimizing network utilization across physical and virtual environments
- Eliminate point solutions, backup complexity, unnecessary storage growth, costs and risk with a single unified scalable solution
- Quickly and easily configure and monitor backup and restore jobs
- Easy to manage alerts, view server status, and monitor disk storage utilization, as well as grouping servers or applications into logical containers for easier monitoring
- Reduce downtime and disruption
- Replace time consuming, error prone manual system recovery process with fast, efficient, automated system recovery
- Drastically shrink the amount of time your business-critical services are down.
- Simultaneously back up a physical machine and convert it to a virtual machine or virtual disk.
- Convert an existing backup set to a virtual machine.
- Restores are initiated by Restore Wizards that guide you through a process that is designed specifically for the type of data that you want to restore.
- Automated disaster recovery.
- Ensure virtual machines are always up and running.
- Reduce data storage by up to 10:1.
- Significant LAN/WAN bandwidth savings.
- Easily identify unprotected data and ensure it’s always protected.
- VMware and Backup Exec administrators can now easily validate the recoverability of full VM backups.
- The vSphere client console not only provides administrators an easy to view window to see the validation of full VM backups recoverability but also easy to manage backup and recovery operations.
- Disk storage is easier to create now that Backup Exec chooses the best location to store your backups.
- Backup Exec now provides storage trending, and capacity monitoring and reporting.
- Backup Exec uses SMTP for email notifications and supports SMTP authentication.
- Notification email messages can be sent to any email address, including: Microsoft Outlook, Lotus Notes, and Web-based email applications such as Gmail or Yahoo mail.
New administration console
New innovative and modern administration console makes it easier than ever to set up backups, manage backup policies, perform disaster recoveries, and convert backups of servers to virtual machines for instant disaster recovery.
Integrated bare-metal and dissimilar hardware recovery
Rapidly recover an entire server, to the same hardware or dissimilar hardware in minutes, not hours or days.
Convert Backups to Virtual Machines (P2V and B2V)
Convert Backups to Virtual Machines for instant recovery so that if a server fails, you can get that server back up and running in a VMware or Hyper-V environment in the time it takes you to turn on a virtual machine!
Restore Wizards guide you through a process that is designed specifically for the type of data that you want to restore. For example, when you restore application data, you are prompted only with the options that apply to that application's data. The Restore Wizard guides you through restoring an entire server, files, and folders, volumes, and application data.
High Availability for Virtual Applications with Virtual Machine Auto Recovery for VMware
Virtual Machine Auto Recovery for VMware provides high availability for virtual applications. Through the Backup Exec Management Plug-in 2.0 for VMware with Symantec’s ApplicationHA 6.0, enables Backup Exec to automatically restore a failed VM in order to recover lost application services once Symantec ApplicationHA has exhausted the steps to remediate the failure.
Client/source deduplication for Linux servers
Source deduplication for Linux servers enables significant LAN/WAN bandwidth and backup storage savings while protecting Linux servers.
Discover unprotected data
Easily browse the network and discover servers and application data that have not been backed up using the easy to use user administration console.
Virtual Machine Validator
Easily validate the recoverability of full VM backups via the vSphere client console.
New storage handling
A wizard helps you configure all types of storage, including disk, deduplication, network, and cloud storage, as well as storage pools.
New and improved notifications
Configure Backup Exec to notify people by email or text message when alerts occur.
Specifications / System Requirements
|Package Type||Retail Boxed Package|
|License Type||Complete Package|
|License Quantity||1 User|
|Operating System||MS Windows Essential Business Svr 2008, MS Windows Svr 2003/2003 R2/2008/2008 R2 families, MS Windows Small Business Svr 2003/2003 R2/2008/2011 families, MS Windows Unified Data Storage Svr 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 (Refer to Software Compatibility List for details)|
|Min CPU||Intel Pentium, Xeon, AMD, or compatible|
|Min HDD||1.44 GB Typical install, 2.32 GB for all options|
|Min RAM||1 GB|
|Peripheral Devices||Network interface card or a virtual network adapter card; CD/DVD drive; A mouse|
|Other Software Requirements||Internet Explorer 7.0 or later|
|Bundled Support||1 Year Essential Support|
- You cannot install a Backup Exec server on a computer that runs the Windows Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008. You can only install the Backup Exec Agent for Windows on Server Core computers.
- You cannot install SQL Express or SQL Server 2005 on a Windows Server 2008 computer that is configured in a Read Only Domain Controller (RODC) role. The Read Only Domain Controller role does not let you use the local accounts that are required for SQL Express and SQL Server 2005. When you install Backup Exec on an RODC computer you must select a remote SQL instance for the Backup Exec Database.
Server Operating Systems
- MS Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Premium/Standard
- MS Windows Server 2003/2003 R2 Storage Server/Standard/Datacenter/Web Editions SP2
- MS Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition family
- MS Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition SP2
- MS Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 Foundation/Storage Server/Standard/Datacenter/Enterprise/Web Edition families
- MS Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/Datacenter/Enterprise Edition with Hyper-V families
- MS Windows Small Business Server 2003/2003 R2 Premium/Standard SP2
- MS Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard/Premium
- MS Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard/Premium Add-on/Essentials
- MS Windows Unified Data Storage Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2
Additional Application SupportYou can use Backup Exec with Microsoft System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) 2007.
Internet BrowserInternet Explorer 7.0 or later.
ProcessorIntel Pentium, Xeon, AMD, or compatible.
SQL Server or SQL ExpressService Pack 4 is required.
MemoryRequired: 512 MB RAM above the operating system's requirements. Recommended: 2 GB RAM (or more for better performance) Please note:
- RAM requirements may vary depending on the operations performed, the options installed, and the specific computer configuration.
- For the Central Admin Server Option: 1 GB RAM is required; 2 GB RAM is recommended.
- Symantec Recovery Disk: 1 GB minimum (dedicated) for the multi-lingual version.
- Virtual Memory Recommendations: 20 MB above the Windows recommended size for total paging file size (total for all disk volumes). Refer to your Microsoft Windows help documentation for instructions on how to view or set the paging file size.
Installation Disk Space1.44 GB (Typical installation) 2.32 GB (Includes all options)
- Note: Disk space requirements may vary depending on the operations performed, the options installed, and the specific system configuration. The Backup Exec database and catalogs require additional space. An additional 330 MB is required for SQL Express.
Other HardwareThe following hardware is recommended:
- Network interface card or a virtual network adapter card.
- CD/DVD drive.
- (Recommended) A mouse.
Storage HardwareYou can use storage media drives, robotic libraries, removable storage devices, and non-removable hard drives. Support is available for the first drive in each robotic library when you purchase Backup Exec. To enable support for each additional robotic library drive, you must purchase the Backup Exec Library Expansion Option.
Product information, specifications, and compatibility are for advisory purposes only, and is the buyers full responsibility to verify with the manufacturer prior to ordering.