Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 with 5 Cals
Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) delivers on Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing initiative and illustrates Microsoft's commitment to continually creating software products with enhanced security, increased reliability, and simplified administration. Windows Server 2003 SP2 builds upon the impressive track record of the award-winning Windows Server 2003 operating system by introducing numerous refinements in addition to supplying cumulative system updates. Deploying SP2 will help enterprises across all industries and segments enhance security, increase reliability, and simplify administration through guided attack surface reduction.
While robust IT security is intrinsically valuable, a well-secured infrastructure can also improve server reliability to meet the ever increasing demands of commerce and industry. Further, the reliability improvements resulting from a properly secured infrastructure adds to administrator productivity. Windows Server 2003 SP2 is a collection of updates and security enhancements to the Windows Server 2003 operating system that meets all three of these needs by addressing the primary challenge in ongoing customer security: update management.
Service Pack 2 provides convenient, comprehensive access to the latest updates, enhancements, and new features for Windows Server 2003. Each of these components allows customers to better leverage the enhanced security, reliability, and performance of Windows Server 2003.New Features:
- Scalable Networking Pack (SNP)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2 includes the Scalable Networking Pack which helps resolve the challenge of supporting the growth of network traffic without overloading CPU resources. The Scalable Networking Pack accomplishes this by providing support for networking technologies focused on eliminating operating system bottlenecks associated with network packet processing.
The XmlLite library allows developers to build high-performance XML-based applications, providing a high degree of interoperability with other applications that adhere to the XML 1.0 standard. The primary goals of XmlLite are ease of use, performance, and standards compliance.XmlLite works with any Windows language that can use dynamic link libraries (DLLs), but Microsoft recommends C++. XmlLite contains all necessary support files for use with C++, but if you want to use it with other languages, some additional work may be required.
Enhancements to Existing Features
The enhancements to Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 include:
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS) - Windows Server 2003 SP2 includes the updated and redesigned version of Remote Installation Services (RIS), now called Windows Deployment Services to help prepare organizations for the introduction of Windows Vista and Windows "Longhorn". WDS provides for the storage, management, and deployment of images using the new Windows Image format, WIM.
- Enabling 'Firewall Per Port' Authentication - Firewall per port authentication secures traffic between the Extranet environment and internal assets that are protected via IPsec domain isolation. Service Pack 2 installation enables this feature by default.
- Microsoft Management Console 3.0 (MMC 3.0) - Microsoft Management Console 3.0 (MMC 3.0) is a framework that unifies and simplifies day-to-day system management tasks on Windows by providing common navigation, menus, toolbars, and workflow across diverse tools.
- Wireless Protected Access 2 (WPA2) - Wireless Protected Access 2 enhances the wireless client software with support for the new Wi-Fi Alliance certification for wireless security. WPA2 makes it easier to connect to secure public spaces that are equipped with wireless Internet access, known as "Wi-Fi hotspots."
- iCACLS tool - ICACLS is an upgrade of the CACLS tool in Windows Server 2003 SP2 that you can use to reset the account control lists (ACL) on files from Recovery Console, and to back up ACLs.
- Expanded Windows Server 2003 Datacenter SKUs
- Release of MUI Packs to insure greater compatibility between base and MUI language
- Performance Improvements for SQL Servers - Service Pack 2 provides performance improvement for SQL Server 2005 under intensive workloads. Service Pack 2 installation installs these improvements by default.
- Enhanced discoverability options in MSConfig - MSConfig now contains an additional tab which provides a single launching point for common support tools that will ease the discoverability of common diagnostic functionality.
- Improved IPsec filter management - Service Pack 2 helps reduce the filter set that needs to be managed in a Server and Domain Isolation scenario from potentially hundreds of filters to as few as 2 filters. It also removes the need for ongoing filter maintenance due to infrastructure changes.
- Performance Improvements under Windows Virtualization - Service Pack 2 improves the performance under high Advanced Processor Interrupt Control (APIC) access rate for Windows Server 2003 running as a multiprocessor guest operating system under Windows Virtualization.
- Increased default storage for Message Queuing - The default storage limit for message queuing has been changed to 1 gigabyte (GB). If you choose to have a storage limit of more than 1 GB, you can change the storage limit setting in Microsoft Management Console (MMC) on the General tab of Message Queuing Properties.
- Improvements to DCDIAG Domain Name Service tests - New options have been added to the Dcdiag.exe Domain Name Service (DNS) tests. These new options are /x and /xsl:xslfile.xsl or /xsl:xsltfile.xslt. They generate XML tags when the tests are run with the /test:dns option. You can use this new output mechanism to more easily parse the verbose log that the DNS tests generate.
- New Events for Cluster Service Accounts - A new event log event has been created to address certain situations in which the Cluster Service Account becomes excessively restricted by domain policy. The new event ID is 1239. The event text includes troubleshooting information.
Features And Benefits for Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2:
- Built for Dependability:
- XML Web services
- Directory services
- Update management
- Internet firewall
- Remote access
- Server hardware support
- Application verification
- File services
- Assisted support
- Server event tracking
- Built for Productivity:
- Manage Your Server Wizard
- Configure Your Server Wizard
- Remote server administration
- Remote assistance
- Shadow Copy of Shared Folders
- Terminal Server
- Built for a Connected World:
- IIS 6.0
- Web application server role
- Microsoft Windows Media Services
- Wireless LAN support
- Built for Best Economics:
- Extensive ISV ecosystem
- Worldwide services
- Training options
- Certified solutions
- XML Web Services and .NET:
- Leverage their existing investments. Existing Windows-based applications continue to run on Windows Server 2003 and can be easily repackaged as XML Web services.
- Write less code and use the programming languages and tools they know. This is made possible by the application services built into Windows Server 2003, such as Microsoft ASP.NET, transaction monitoring, message queuing, and data access.
- Use process monitoring, recycling, and built-in instrumentation to provide reliability, availability, and scalability for their applications
Specifications / System Requirements
|Version||2003 R2 with SP2|
|Package Type||Retail Boxed Package|
|License Type||Complete Package|
|License Quantity||5 Users|
|Operating System||Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2|
|Min CPU||133 MHz (550 MHz recommended)|
|Min HDD||1.25 GB|
|Min RAM||128 MB (256 MB recommended)|
|Min Screen Requirements||800x600|
|Peripheral Devices||CD- or DVD-ROM drive|
Product information, specifications, and compatibility are for advisory purposes only, and is the buyers full responsibility to verify with the manufacturer prior to ordering.