Apple XSan 2
- Platform: Mac
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Type: Retail Boxed, Full Edition
- MPN: MB081Z/A
- Stock Code: 264655
- More: Apple XSan
- Availability: SOLD OUT
Xsan 2 is a powerful and scalable solution for storage consolidation, enabling businesses to reduce data duplication and more efficiently use and share data in demanding IT data centers, video post-production, television broadcast workflows.
- Xsan Admin 2 - Xsan 2 makes it easier for first-time users to quickly set up and deploy a SAN. And the completely redesigned administration application simplifies day-to-day SAN administration.
- MultiSAN - Now a single workstation or server can access Xsan volumes simultaneously. MulitSAN is ideal for users who need to access multiple Xsan volumes from the same workstation or server.
- Spotlight - Support for Spotlight, Cover Flow, and Quick Look in Leopard makes it easy for users to find and access content on your SAN volumes.
- Leopard Server Integration - Mac OS X Server features such as iCal Server, Mail Server, and Podcast Producer integrate with Xsan 2 to support clustered file systems and improve performance and scalability.
- RAID Storage - Xsan 2 is qualified to support RAID storage hardware including Xserve RAID and the Promise VTrak E-Class RAID Subsystem.
Set up and configure your Xsan volumes simply with the new SAN Setup assistant.
- A simple SAN - With Xsan 2, it's easy for first-time users -- such as workgroups in small film and video productions, podcast clusters, small graphics shops and boutique post houses -- to set up and deploy a SAN.
Xsan Admin 2
Xsan 2 features Xsan Admin 2 -- an application completely redesigned to make day-to-day SAN administration much simpler.
- Storage configuration - With Xsan Admin, complex tasks such as expanding a volume, optimally configuring volume settings or managing file system permissions are now easier and less error prone.
- Access control - Volume mapping and masking let you control which computers access various volumes. For finer-grained control, you can use Xsan on Mac OS X in conjunction with Open Directory to manage application, user and group access to specific folders and files in shared volumes.
- Admin notification - Real-time monitoring lets you keep tabs on your SAN file system performance and throughput. Should it fall below a specified level, you can set the program to send you a notification via email or pager.
Cluster File System
Xsan is a 64-bit cluster file system that provides concurrent data access over high-speed Fibre Channel to multiple systems on the network. For better performance and higher availability, you can pool storage across multiple RAID devices, and each Xsan client can use this centralised data as if it were directly connected.
- Support for 2PB files and volumes - Xsan lets your users share multiple files and volumes; each can be as large as 2 petabytes, or more than 3 months' worth of uncompressed 1080i high-definition (HD) video at 30 frames per second. Xsan supports billions of files per volume, with each metadata controller hosting multiple volumes at the same time.
- File sharing over Fibre Channel - Xsan storage networking eliminates the bottlenecks of traditional network file servers that use Gigabit Ethernet and that are not fast enough to transfer dense formats such as HD video. Fibre Channel gives you a 4Gb-per-port connection for increased data transfer and can be used with Fibre Channel multipathing for greater aggregate throughput.
- File-level locking - Fine-grained file-level locking enables simultaneous access to shared files. All clients can access all the files on the volume, but only the client that has read/write privileges can edit a locked file.
- File system access controls - Xsan supports flexible file permissions that not only work with Mac clients, but are fully compatible with Windows Server, Windows Vista and Windows XP. With file system ACLs, any file object can be assigned multiple users and groups, including groups within groups. Each file object can also be assigned both allow and deny permissions, as well as a granular set of permissions for administrative control, read, write and delete operations.
Xsan 2 provides performance-optimised volume configuration settings, data placement and storage pooling, Fibre Channel multipathing services and support for multiport 4Gb Fibre Channel cards.
- Uncompressed High-Definition Video. Optimised for 720p, 1080p and 1080i uncompressed HD video.
- Standard-Definition Video. Optimised for DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO and uncompressed SD video.
- General File Server. Optimised for NFS, AFP and SMB file servers.
- Home Folder Server. Optimised for hosting network home directories with NFS, AFP or SMB.
- Mail Cluster. Optimised for shared storage of Mac OS X Server mail server data.
- Calendar Server Cluster. Optimised for shared storage of iCal Server data.
MultiSAN allows a single workstation or server to access Xsan volumes hosted by separate Xsan metadata controllers.
Spotlight works the way people think: by searching the content itself, not just the filenames. With richer Spotlight vocabulary in Mac OS X Leopard, searches can be more exact. Options include Boolean logic, quoted phrase searching, category labels and range support. And with the Quick Look and Cover Flow features in Leopard, users can scan hundreds of files in just seconds, without ever needing to open them.
Xsan 2 is designed for high availability, with features that make it well suited for mission-critical environments.
- Metadata controller failover - Xsan uses one system connected to the SAN, called a metadata controller, to manage access to shared storage. If this system fails for any reason, Xsan picks another computer on the SAN to take over its role.
- Fibre Channel multipathing - Apple's Fibre Channel host bus adapters (HBAs) are dual-port or quad-port cards, providing every Mac desktop or Xserve system with two or four connections to the SAN.
- File system journaling - Xsan is a journaled file system that can be recovered in seconds in the event of a catastrophic failure. Journal data includes a record of file system transactions, eliminating the need for time-consuming integrity checks after an unplanned shutdown of the entire network or the metadata controller.
Specifications / System Requirements
|Package Type||Retail Boxed Package|
|License Type||Complete Package|
|License Quantity||1 User|
|Operating System||Mac OS X v10.5 or Mac OS X Server v10.5 or later|
|Min CPU||Intel or PowerPC G5 processor|
|Min RAM||At least 2GB of RAM; additional 2GB for each hosted volume|
|Peripheral Devices||CD-ROM drive|
|Other Software Requirements||Apple Fibre Channel card|
Product information, specifications, and compatibility are for advisory purposes only, and is the buyers full responsibility to verify with the manufacturer prior to ordering.