Apple Final Cut Express 4
Now you can edit like a pro with Final Cut Express 4. Start by capturing DV, HDV and AVCHD footage or import your movie from iMovie '08 -- and discover the advanced moviemaking power at your disposal in the new, Open Format Timeline. Ready for still more? Add dynamic titles and graphics using LiveType. Final Cut Express 4 delivers all the tools you need to make great movies.
Capture the most popular formats -- DV, HDV, or AVCHD -- from your camcorder. Or export projects from iMovie '08 for a final edit in Final Cut Express 4.
- Easily capture DV and HDV - Capturing DV and HDV footage is as simple as connecting a camcorder to your Mac and keeping an eye on the Capture window to select what you'd like transferred. Preview it full screen on your primary or secondary display whenever you want. Final Cut Express supports both standard-definition DV and high-definition 1080i and 720p HDV.
- Work with AVCHD - Now you can edit video captured with the most popular AVCHD devices, using the new Log and Transfer tool to access video recorded to disks, memory cards, or DVDs. * Select the clips you want, then transfer them to Final Cut Express. It's never been easier to work with beautiful HD content.
- Import projects from iMovie'08 - In iMovie '08, you can skim through the clips in your library and quickly create a rough cut of your video project. Exporting it to Final Cut Express for further editing couldn't be easier -- just choose Final Cut XML from the Share menu. Then open your project in Final Cut Express to put the finishing touches on your project using its expanded, professional toolset.
Edit like a Pro
Mix different video formats in the new open format Timeline, editing them in real time using the same precision tools found in Final Cut Pro.
- Drag-and-drop editing - Editing in Final Cut Express 4 provides a world-class experience. Based on the industry-leading editing tools in Final Cut Pro 6, it lets you edit in the Timeline or with the innovative Edit Overlay tool. Choose from a comprehensive set of edit options, including insert, overwrite, fit-to-fill, and more.To add clips, simply drag them into the Timeline. And thanks to a highly flexible interface, you can move seamlessly through your projects, focusing your efforts on creativity and productivity.
- Open format Timeline - No need to worry about formats, frame rates, or conversions. Final Cut Express 4 provides an open format Timeline that accommodates DV (both NTSC and PAL) and HD footage. It even lets you edit clips from multiple formats in real time simultaneously.
- Trimming - Ready for more advanced editing tools? Working in the Timeline or a dedicated Trim window, fine-tune your edits with ripple, roll, slip, slide, extend, and shorten. These pro-level trimming tools, combined with the principles of three-point editing, let you experiment with complex variations and edits. That includes "L cuts," where the audio and video start at different times.
Make composites and add Effects
Create impressive composites and easily enhance video with sophisticated transitions, filters, and effects, including a wide assortment of FxPlug plug-ins.
- Dynamic RT - Dynamic RT provides real-time playback of multistream effects. Adjusting image quality and frame rate on the fly for optimal playback, it scales performance as processing power increases. That means you can view multilayered high-definition video in real time -- without waiting for previews to render.
- Multiple Layers - WIth compositing -- the technique of layering multiple video tracks to create visual effects -- you can add a distinctive quality to your video projects. The compositing prowess of Final Cut Express lets you create everything from simple title overlays and sophisticated multiple-stream video montages to dazzling picture-in-picture or side-by-side video effects.
- FxPlug plug-ins - Out of the box, Final Cut Express provides more than 200 transitions, filters, and effects. And since it supports FxPlug -- the same plug-in architecture used in Final Cut Studio -- you have many more effect plug-ins to choose from.
- Keyframes - Enjoy complete creative control of effects, transitions, and motion parameters with the fully adjustable keyframe markers in Final Cut Express. Use keyframing to modify an effect, and you can save that modification as a favorite for use in other projects.
Create the Perfect Mix
Use multiple audio tracks, audio level automation, advanced audio filters, and the new Soft Normalize and Gain feature to achieve pro results easily.
- Mix audio on multiple tracks - Take advantage of the flexible audio tools built into Final Cut Express to mix up to 99 audio tracks using pans, levels, and the three-band equalizer. Set keyframes on each audio track to adjust level and pan settings over the length of a clip. Import music from GarageBand and combine it with sound effects and voiceover to craft a complete multitrack audio mix.
- Adjust with audio filters - Further enhance your audio with such included Audio Units filters as Reverb, EQ, Echo, and Delay. The new Soft Normalize and Gain feature analyzes sound clips, automatically raising clips to their maximum level without distortion. You can even adjust audio filters in real time, listening to your work in progress and modifying it as the track plays.
- Add a voiceover - Creating a documentary? You'll achieve professional results easily by using the Voice Over tool to record your narration. Final Cut Express 4 lets you create quick scratch tracks or add a voiceover track as your video plays. Besides offering a countdown cue, the new Voice Over tool records "before start" and "after stop," providing handles for your recorded audio.
Add custom titles with LiveType
Add dynamic animated text to your video projects using LiveType with its exclusive LiveFont animated font technology and huge library of textures and effects.
- Customizable Effects - Hundreds of preset animations and text effects let you create eye-popping animated titles in record time. Use them as is; customize them with fades, zooms, and motion; or develop your own. It's easy -- and fun. Once you achieve the desired result, save your new text effects for use in other projects.
- LiveFonts - LiveType 2 includes a breakthrough font technology: LiveFonts. Available only on the Mac, LiveFonts help you quickly and easily create spectacular text effects. LiveType comes with a wide assortment of LiveFonts, and you can add more professionally animated LiveFonts from third parties.
- Royalty-free content - You receive more than 50 broadcast-quality animated textures and objects with LiveType -- all royalty free. Easy to use, they let even nonanimators create sophisticated titles. Your work looks absolutely professional, and you can do it yourself. Without busting your film budget.
- Timing is Everything - Powerful timing features let you control every aspect of your animation. By treating each character of a word as a separate layer, LiveType gives you the creative freedom to animate single letters, not just entire blocks of text.
FINAL CUT EXPRESS 4: WHAT'S NEW
Apple's powerful moviemaking package now supports the latest AVCHD cameras, features an open format Timeline, provides iMovie '08 compatibility, and offers sophisticated effects and filters.
- Built-in AVCHD - Offering plenty of creative options, Final Cut Express 4 lets you edit footage captured in the most popular formats -- including AVCHD.** Simply connect your camcorder to your Mac, preview and select the AVCHD clips you'd like to import, and start editing your video.
- Import iMovie '08 projects - With iMovie '08, putting together a great movie is as quick as drag and drop. When you want to add professional polish to your project, simply export to Final Cut Express 4 and edit like a pro.
- Open format Timeline - No need to worry about formats, frame rates, or conversions. Final Cut Express 4 provides an open format Timeline that handily accommodates DV (both NTSC and PAL) and HD footage simultaneously and in real time. Just drop video into the Timeline and edit away.
- Sophisticated FxPlug effects and filters - Add cinematic looks to your project with an expansive library of professional-quality transitions and filters and experiment with over 50 brand-new video effects, including Soft Focus, Vignette, Light Rays, and Line Art.
* Support for DVD-based camcorders requires Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard or later.
** AVCHD video requires a Mac with an Intel processor.
Specifications / System Requirements
|Package Type||Retail Boxed Package|
|License Type||Complete Package|
|License Quantity||1 User|
|Operating System||Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later|
|Min CPU||Mac computer with a 1.25 GHz or faster|
|Min HDD||500 MB|
|Min RAM||1 GB|
|Min Screen Requirements||1024x768 resolution or higher|
|Peripheral Devices||DVD-ROM drive; mouse & keyboard|
|Other Software Requirements||QuickTime 7.2 or later|
- A Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
- For AVCHD: A Mac computer with an Intel processor
- 1GB of RAM or more
- An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme; or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini computer
- Some FxPlug filters are not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors.
- A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
- A DVD drive for installation
- Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
- QuickTime 7.2 or later
- 500MB of disk space to install Final Cut Express and LiveType
- Additional 500MB to install LiveType content
Product information, specifications, and compatibility are for advisory purposes only, and is the buyers full responsibility to verify with the manufacturer prior to ordering.